Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Hate to Admit I Give a Shit

Hopefully I'm not breaking copyright law here.
The feeling I get is that the many who feel this way or that way about the mass murder also think that their opinions and feelings are the way things are, and wouldn't entertain any other notion. At first glance, it looks like I'm guilty of this as well, but I read what they write, I listen to what they say, and I try to formulate intelligent response, but the theories and the posts and the sound bites and video clips keep coming so fast and so fervently and so spread out as to blame a laundry list of reasons...hardly any of them having to do with the man who actually murdered so many.




The responses that I have seen to the massacre all seem to have a central theme. There's always a need, people have, to find a reason. To place blame. I understand that. I curse a deity I don't even believe in when I hit my thumb with a hammer, or drop a giant bolt on my toe. It just makes sense that there's someone, or something someone did that makes a person go completely insane. That's what I'm seeing.


But, I just wanted to say quickly...


It's not Palin's fault.
It's not Gaston Glock's fault.
It's not talk radio's or talk TV's fault.
It's not the NRA's fault.
It's not hi-capacity magazines' fault.
It's not the lack of health care's fault.
It's not Gifford's fault.
It's not the Republican Party's fault.


If I believed in god, I'd blame him, but I do not, and that only leaves what's-his-name. Jared something. I don't want to remember his name, and I don't want you to either--that's why he smiled in the mug shot, so you would remember him.


I'm still sickened, more than ever, by the toll this has taken on so many. It gets harder and harder to smile to gun foes and say "I should have the freedom to purchase any firearm I want and stuff it with any magazine I want." And while true, I should, I wouldn't tell that to a dead nine year old's parents.


And I already turned my back on "politics" a while ago, about the time the economy collapsed and again, the rich got richer, and the poor got poorer. Same ol' same ol' and all that. 






2 comments:

  1. This is what *I* think. I don't need any more of what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't heard what I think, because I haven't said anything. I think it will most likely remain that way. I do not disapprove of what you wrote.

    Wait, does that count as saying what I think? I hope not, 'cause I might have to delete, if so.

    ReplyDelete