Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bill M's First Deer

I failed to mention that Bill M. got his first deer somewhere down in SC without me. He gave it the old college try up here in NC with me and JB, but couldn't quite connect. And I wanted to be there when he did connect, but it never came to be.


We had breakfast this morning and he reminded me of the pictures he had emailed me, but I had never checked them out. So upon doing so, I decided to share them.


The story as told to me over runny eggs at Herbie's was that him and his Gypsum Magnate buddy John K. met up at this hunting club in SC to try his luck in late December. And after a long four wheeler ride, "probably a mile," they got to a two-seated, elevated stand at the edge of a feed plot/meadow surrounded by woods.


So Bill took the two seater alone, and John took his "climber" 80 yards down the tree line and chose his own spot still within eyesight of the Bill in the fixed stand. And it wasn't long before two does stepped out into the fringes of the woods and played peekaboo with Bill.


Bill said he threw the rifle up to find them in the scope, and was waiting for the bigger of the two, probably the mama, to step out clear of her fawn and give him a shot. While he's watching, he gets the text: "Shoot big doe!" We hunt in modern times indeed.


Well, finally, the fawn left mom's side, and finally, Bill said, mama turned broadside and stood there ready to take his shot. And at that moment all the hunting before, and the earlier-this-season's flubbed shot, and all the range work, and even all the reloading work in my garage finally paid off and finally he had his first deer.


No exit wound! He said she was about 150 yards out when he shot her.




I love it when a plan comes together. There is one thing more to work on though...Bill's not Hindu, but he's got a red dot in the middle of his forehead from his 3.5x-10x by 50mm Leupold Vari-X III scope! D'oh!


Anyway, after talking through breakfast, it sounds like he'll be around a while longer so I'll get another chance to hunt with him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment